Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has explained his decision to start Bruno Fernandes against Everton in the Carabao Cup quarter-final.
United are taking on the Toffees just three days after their 6-2 win against Leeds United in the Premier League, and Fernandes is one of just two players to have started against Leeds to keep his place at Goodison Park.
Fernandes was replaced with 20 minutes left to play on Sunday and prior to kick-off on Merseyside it appeared to be suggested that Solskjaer had hinted Fernandes would be rested against Everton.
Solskjaer told Sky Sports: “I never said that. I had to take him (Fernandes) off last game, I took him off and he wasn’t happy, so I didn’t kid you on. Bruno is one of those who recovers really quickly. But if the game is over, why not rest him then?”
Solskjaer also commented on new signing Van de Beek, who was handed his first start for United since their win against West Ham earlier this month.
“It’s a big night for all of us,” Solskjaer said. “You get a chance to stake your claim and prove a point and hopefully we can see Donny playing as well as we know he can do and he has done.”
United have the chance to progress into the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup if they can beat Everton.
So far, Brentford, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur have all progressed, with the draw for the last four taking place after United’s tie.